Two National Ice Parks

Two National Ice Parks
Glacier Bay National Park in Alaska (not to be confused with Glacier National Park in Montana) gave birth to icebergs before my eyes this past July. Mt. Shasta in California, with its own rivers of ice, called me to its summit 2012. I now visit Glacier National Park, and hope to bring you vicariously to its back country.

__________________________

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Quiet and Calm

I came here to find something, and thought it not strange that I didn’t know what it was.  I wanted something outside the bounds of what I know or imagine, or even suspect.  It’s part of the way life has become after career, ambition, and five-year plans.  I don’t need to know anymore, or even to believe.  I come to Glacier Park with eyes wide open and look around.

I don’t need a plan or hypothesis beyond avoiding trouble, while assuming greater risk in keeping with older age.  I am blessed if I hunger and thirst after Right, not knowing what right is.  I have come to a place of peace in not knowing, peace to live.

Wisdom also is of little value, because there seems something above wisdom, with no way to measure the worth thereof—something above all nature, or above all, Nature.

Be still and know, I say to myself.  Be quiet; be calm.  Stop what you’re doing, look around; see what Nature is doing. Stopping is not a means to an end; it is the end.  Be silent before Nature; read slowly; live slowly.

I am Daughter of Lysle, like Son of David, daughter of the Lion of Judah, of the Prince of Peace.  His name is Life.  He brought me into this place, where I am constrained to be, and to hear his still small voice. 

I am prone to wander, and often think: better to serve what I was taught, than to die in the wilderness.  But here there is shelter and refuge and soul health, a very present help.  Grant me wisdom; grant me courage, as I set feet on lofty places.








A Buried Alien


I took these pictures along a trail that leads southward from Logan Pass to Hidden Lake, on a stormy day.  I got back to the jeep in time to drive down the mountain before they closed the road.  The hard part of the hike was to remain upright in the strong wind.  And to hold the camera steady. 






Gunsight Mountain 9,258 feet’


Stormy days in the high country may decrease as winter approaches or they may increase.  Eventually, the road will close until spring.  No matter, I will hike the lowland until my prepaid monthly rent is expired, or longer.  We are not creatures of weather and roads, but of seeking something. 

7 comments:

  1. Inspiring comments..timeless and very quoteable. Reminds me of "Song of the Open Road" by WW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. I had to re-read Walt Whitman's Song of the Open Road. "You road I enter upon and look around, I believe you are not all that is here, I believe that much unseen is also here." How true. And how good it is not to eliminate possibilities with belief.

      Delete
  2. And another elevated coup de grass... haha! Your observational commentarian writing is remarkably splendiferous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks Alex. I'd say it more splendigotiously but you've go me topped.

      Delete
  3. Sharon - the rock art yesterday....breathtaking, mysterious....and your beautiful comments today, well, breathtaking, mysterious! Go well - Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two Janets on my email list. I appreciate you comment whichever you are.

      Delete
    2. Sharon, your exploration is exciting! Keep the good news and poetry coming, Gail (Pomegranate) from Red Door Poets

      Delete