Two National Ice Parks

Two National Ice Parks
Glacier Bay National Park in Alaska (not to be confused with Glacier National Park in Montana) gave birth to icebergs before my eyes this past July. Mt. Shasta in California, with its own rivers of ice, called me to its summit 2012. I now visit Glacier National Park, and hope to bring you vicariously to its back country.

__________________________

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

The Grouse Grind






I take some pride in usually passing more than half of the hikers going my way, especially when it’s uphill.  When a twenty-something looks at me with his sweaty face and lets me pass, I receive more pleasure than it’s wise to show.  I just smile and say thanks.  I claim no diligence or special training, just good parents and the luck of genetics.










While waiting to board a ship in Vancouver, BC, that would carry a group of us to Alaska, I set out on what seemed a normal day hike, about the same distance and elevation gain as I’m used to.  It’s a popular hike with locals, and I expected it would come with lots of young people to pass, lots of smiles and thanks for me to give them.








They call it the Grouse Grind for its steep unrelenting grade as it ascends 3,000 feet to Grouse Mountain, a ski area in winter, and a local hiking challenge in the summer.








A few young hotshots came up and passed me in the first mile, but there’s always a few; they didn’t bother me.  And then more came, and more.  I hadn’t passed anyone yet.  By the time I was halfway to the top, a hundred hikers had passed me, and I had passed only about six.  I was a weakling compared to them.





 But there was one who stayed with me the whole way.  We leapfrogged each other all the way to the top, resting and hiking at the same overall rate.  Had she been the athletic type we saw in the recent Olympics, I might have felt better.  But given her weight an overall appearance, I could only express praise for her determination and stamina.  She thanked me and said I made her go a little faster then she would have.  







I told her that Canadian fitness is something I hadn’t counted on, something I haven’t seen.  Americans are softer, on average; I’m convinced of it.  These mountain hemlock and Sitka spruce trees seem to agree.

5 comments:

  1. There once was a traveler named Sharon,
    whose adventures were anything but barren
    while hiking some peaks
    she was passed by some geeks
    and _______________________ (fill in the blank!)

    LOL. Silly me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There once was a traveler named Sharon,
      whose adventures were anything but barren
      while hiking some peaks
      she was passed by some geeks
      who made her feel laden with children

      Delete
  2. There once was a Sharon who hiked
    doing everything and anything she liked
    She would scale ups and downs
    everywhere all arounds
    Mostly she”d do it by bike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Junnie, join the silly. Lois, me, and you on the limerick road. Mostly we'll do it right.

      Delete