Two National Ice Parks

Two National Ice Parks
Glacier Bay National Park in Alaska (not to be confused with Glacier National Park in Montana) gave birth to icebergs before my eyes this past July. Mt. Shasta in California, with its own rivers of ice, called me to its summit 2012. I now visit Glacier National Park, and hope to bring you vicariously to its back country.

__________________________

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, October 9, 2016

Lake McDonald



Tomorrow I will talk with Dave, landlord and nice guy, at the Whitefish Motel.  I will give him my departure day and discuss details of my leaving and returning my security deposit.  Negotiation will go as business goes with men—the real and the imaginary, the dollars and the metaphor.   








I come to wilderness like Glacier Park to escape civilization, a revolting frustration, relieved by the aesthetic wonders that trump the minor hardships and risks involved in getting to wild places.  But rain in the last four days has kept me in the lowland.  The peaks are hidden in clouds, and the road through the Park is closed with ice.  








While waiting for aesthetic wonders to become available in the highland, I visit the semi-wilderness of Lake McDonald, an easily accessible place in the Park that I can get to in the rain.  And even here I can view rocks thought to be some two billion years old.   










On the pier at Apgar, I stand where boats crowded in summer, now closed for the winter.  Stark gray sky and water, rain falling, as if loneliness is all that remains.  








Hike along the shore and feel the transition between summer and winter—the clutter of tourists past, the deep snow to come.  Back in my room, I look at the pictures and wonder at how bright they are.  Was I darkened with depression, and only thought the scenes were darker?  Or is my camera more optimistic than I am.  




Imagine a glacier so big that it dug this lake 470 feet deep, then melted and left a pile of debris on which I stand.

6 comments:

  1. the rocks are silent

    until the wind
    speaks for them

    almost like flutes
    they speak for them listen
    again and again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. The breathy sound of some of Rick's flutes is like the voice of rocks. Rocks can't speak, but they can control the wind with their high peaks.

      Delete
  2. maybe you were in the lowlands
    but nothing could be as low
    as tonight's Presidential debate.
    Hillary said, when they go low,
    go high. I guess that's why
    the fly went for her eye
    instead of her thigh.

    They both disgust me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you had to witness a low evening, Lois. I watched a TCM movie, "Lonesome Rhodes" instead. It was probably more informative about the candidates than the debate was.

      Delete
  3. Perspective toys with perception
    complimented by
    rain's lonely grey drizzle
    through camera's optimistic eye
    'choice' reigns
    down in the lowlands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Junnie, the toys of summer are all put away now, and winter follows childhood fun. Snow fell yesterday, and today I will go play in it, in an adult way of course.

      Delete