Two National Ice Parks

Two National Ice Parks
Glacier Bay National Park in Alaska (not to be confused with Glacier National Park in Montana) gave birth to icebergs before my eyes this past July. Mt. Shasta in California, with its own rivers of ice, called me to its summit 2012. I now visit Glacier National Park, and hope to bring you vicariously to its back country.

__________________________

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Whipped Cream Topping





Yesterday, after several days of rain, it snowed.  Today, the sun brightened on a new white world.   I parked the jeep at a trailhead and walked into a new creation, where never a human had trod.  I walked for hours and returned to the jeep following the only boot prints—mine.









Snow creatures greeted me along the trail, such as the trail was, with snow-covered bushes along its sides, ready to spray whipped cream down my neck if I touch them.  I’m sure the snow creatures giggled.








Some little creature with bare toes walked here before me, and overhead, skinny trees bow their heads under weight of snow.  I hear one break and wonder who is next—me, or the  little bare-toe creature.









Along the way, somewhere in mid-hike, I passed under a wedding arch, white with symbolic purity, and felt no different.  













Peaks high above, in their wedding dresses, singing angels, with cloud wings, dart in and out from behind trees.







I come to the shore of Stanton Lake in the Great Bear Wilderness and wonder why, in all these hikes, I have seen no bears, neither grizzly nor black bears, where they are reportedly quite populous.  I have not even seen a bear footprint, nor their scratching on trees, nor their droppings.  I often feel oblivious to something unseen around me, and this is only one thing.





.

12 comments:

  1. I am amazed to see such heaviness of snow so sudden, like overnight?
    Love the wedding arch and hope you hummed "Here comes the Bride" - did you?
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful relieving and sunny sight after so many overcast and rainy days. No, I didn't hum the wedding song, it was more of a brrrr song as snow trickled down from the wedding arch inside my jacket collar. Thanks for joining me all these times, Erika. I hope you can make it to one of the shows.

      Delete
  2. Your photos so brisk and clear and full of the freshness of winter's first chill. I could sense the cool air, no .... I was breathing it and 'feeling' it and comprehending the cold and the 'thrill' withing the majesty of it all. How great it is that one such as you could have this journey topped off so 'sweetly'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard not to take brisk and clear photos on such a white and bright day, Junnie. I'm glad you breathed and felt the cold, the majesty of it all.

      Delete
  3. Wow! All that froth on the tips of the pines! I'd call it a crowning moment! In any case what foresight to have had all this preplanned your trek. Bravo to all these masterpieces photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did I have foresight, Alex? I t's going out there, doing something, hoping for luck. Without going, what chance of luck? See you on the 29th.

      Delete
  4. a page unwritten
    how the muse wrote
    in white
    the sweet wise dreams
    of an invisible bear


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The muse did indeed write in white, Kathabela. Snow is like the Cambrian explosion, when new creatures seemingly arrived overnight, snow creatures, multi-celled plants and animals, all arriving in a snowstorm. Did anyone dream it, plan it, evolve it? Hmmmm.

      Delete
    2. Wow beautiful tanka Kathabela. Here's yours Sharon from your own words:

      Snow is a Cambrian explosion
      when new creatures
      arrive overnight
      did anyone dream it plan it
      evolve it?

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Lois, for evolving my ramble into a poem.

      Delete
  5. Snow creatures...love it! How I long for the cold weather and snow!

    snowarchbeingonewiththeearth

    Thanks again, Sharon, for the mini vacay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stevie, and thanks also for your art I see on Facebook. Words swirl and dance with lovely photography. You said briefly what software you use, but there’s more to it than that. I’d appreciate a lecture, if it’s not too secret or proprietary. Can you come to mine on the 29th? We might make a Snowarchbeingonewiththeearth. A mini vacay.

      Delete