Two National Ice Parks

Two National Ice Parks
Glacier Bay National Park in Alaska (not to be confused with Glacier National Park in Montana) gave birth to icebergs before my eyes this past July. Mt. Shasta in California, with its own rivers of ice, called me to its summit 2012. I now visit Glacier National Park, and hope to bring you vicariously to its back country.

__________________________

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, October 3, 2016

Trees on High





The inspiration trees give can give serves as sacred text—not metaphor, but real connection.  Worthy souls, if trees have souls, can stand the test of living tall and straight while others dwell in lowland comfort.








Spruce

sturdy trees
they may not seem
with pointed tops
and stubby limbs

up here where
snow falls deep
and wind hits hard
lowland trees
would topple
but spruce know how to live 




crooked little spruce
of youthful twenty years
you’ve felt the wind
the pain of snow
and buried deep in winter
you heard the creak
of slipping drifts
pressing on your back
you bear the scars and bends
of dark depression
and wear the white and green
of bright summer
as gray was always lurking






these adults
throughout their youth
stood strong and straight
easy for them then
without enough to bear
to make them strong
fallen now without the test
that you survived in youth





this one also made it nicely
through an easy youth
beat the ones like you
with crooked tops
in every game and test

almost risen above the snow
on her way she said
reaching up to lofty tops
of those who stand above her

but then times changed
and snow got deeper
her top was like a child
built upon an easy youth
now bending under load







my friend, I think you’ll make it
your youth is looking good
don’t listen when they scoff

thanks for caring, little one
I’ve enjoyed our time
together on the trail     

12 comments:

  1. Distrust the straight line
    to heaven or to hell
    The pine askew or fallen
    points somewhere else.

    Elsa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. to heaven I'll choose
      to hell I'll not
      somewhere else I do not know
      I only know
      to be faithful

      Delete
    2. Heaven is in the velvet
      soil and the quenching
      of our constant thirst

      Hell is the fire
      storm of a sun
      without forgiveness
      where tree tops pray
      to be felled

      Delete
    3. Yes, Lois, that is the hope, and some say the source, of heaven. Hell is no hope, no forgiveness. I know about no forgiveness, where even a treetop wants to be felled.

      Delete
  2. Fabulous photographs, Sharon. I'm glad you are seeing sights so grand, and have this time to simply be.

    See you for the Halloween revels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to be, Liz, even when it's not nice. Halloween is for being someone else.

      Delete
  3. OK, OK and I just cozy up to the fireplace & burn the frickin trees... lol

    In any case all this spewing of sap brings to mind Silverstein tale of The Giving Tree.

    All sobbing, sob... aside, what a lovely honoring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You burned one of my friends in your fireplace, Alex? How could you!?!
      I used to burn them too, all winter; they were the only heat we had. I honor them and burn them. It's a lot like eating fish.

      Delete
  4. I enter the world of your blog like one settles down to read a good book or watch an inspiring movie. Sometimes in my busy-ness I have to sway from opening your emails, awaiting the time when I can just 'be' with the wondrous sharings you offer. Of late, you have appealed to the philosopher in me and I have been drawn in to that tender space you share with us, of 'you' and so not to sound 'sappy' (couldn't resist, trees and all) I treasure these times when I can marvel at the words, the photos, the insight and mostly the 'privilege' to be one of the ones who gets to be your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Junnie, You are so artistic and appreciative. I need friends like you to carry me over the muddy waters of logic, where I tend to mire. Do you do cartoons? Maybe a cartoon of one building a shaky bridge across muddy water, while someone offers a boat.

      Delete
    2. Those muddy waters of logic are pleading for comic relief
      When pen sets to paper, we'll see if this one can scribble and scratch
      such a shaky bridge with the offered sanctity of a boat
      Isn't that what friends are for? ... to scribble and scratch for each other???

      Delete
    3. Yes it is, Junnie. Scribble and scratch on!

      Delete