Two National Ice Parks

Two National Ice Parks
Glacier Bay National Park in Alaska (not to be confused with Glacier National Park in Montana) gave birth to icebergs before my eyes this past July. Mt. Shasta in California, with its own rivers of ice, called me to its summit 2012. I now visit Glacier National Park, and hope to bring you vicariously to its back country.

__________________________

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, October 7, 2016

A Line in the Rock


Whitefish, Montana

These rainy days in Whitefish, Montana, press hard on me.  They close the mountains in clouds and forebode coming winter that will shut the high country til June.  They lead me into dark queries and puzzles where answers come scarce and faulty.    










Craggy Range Bar and Grill,
Whitefish, Montana
Buffalo Cafe,
Whitefish, Montana

I sit in Craggy Range Bar and Grill on Central Avenue and listen to good-ol’-boys talk about big fish and bucks shot,  And again in the morning at the Buffalo Café, before they go out to cut mountain maple that clutters the grassland.  It takes a good sport of a woman to get on with them.  They like a good sport.








The bar is “L” shaped, and I peruse the men along the other side of the L. 

“Where ya from,” he says.
“Southern California.”
“I’m sorry,” and he’s not joking.



At least they haven’t used that Midwest cliché, “From the land of fruit and nuts,” that I heard so often on a cross-country bike ride.  I confess to being a nut, and try not to show any leaning toward “fruit,” but preconceptions are hard to override with mere trying.

Good-ol’-girls don’t do that.  They take me for a nut, and don’t care.  And the barmaid, cool as Liz; I imagine her behind the bar, good sport, handling the good-ol’-boys.





Song of geology, lyrical in my eyes, strong in my books, vivid in my expectation.  Earth, not the same everywhere, as poems are lyrical, but not the same.      

Here we go again, into the rock.  Sorry, they pull me down.


Reynolds Mountain 9125’
with a dike of intrusive magma,
now hardened into rock,
running up through it.

Magma pressed up beneath the earth’s crust, so hard it cracked the cold, solid limestone.  Can you feel it here, see it in this picture, the past it represents?  (Click on the picture to make it larger.)  And once cracked, the limestone opponent, like a weakened boxer, cowered, then succumbed.  Magma punched into the crack, widened it, and kept moving upward, into the weakened foe.  See it here in the dike running at about twenty degrees upward through the sedimentary establishment.

The revolutionary underground movement broke the conservative level layers above it, pressed harder than they were prepared for. Not satisfied, the intrusive magma pressed outward between the layers, pitting them against each other, revealing weak places between them.    





On the wall of the Craggy Range Bar and Grill, I see a picture of Reynolds Mountain, the same peak I saw in first light, before clouds removed the mountain.  A distinct line struck across its layers.  To you, maybe, it’s just a line in a rock, easily shrouded in clouds.  To me, it’s a force that nags and tears, a movement that disturbs the established order.    

6 comments:

  1. mountain men of Montana
    nuts big as boulders
    nary a fruit in site

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're funny, Lois. I guess I asked for it!

      Delete
  2. as if a spider

    left her web
    white silk embrace

    sunset's blush
    the beauty of what will be
    never in doubt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who is this spider
      who embraces Reynolds Mountain
      with white silk?
      Did she learn this art
      from layers and cracks
      that long preceded her?
      Is she an artist creator
      or a conformist to
      Natures Rock Art?

      Delete
  3. Your double spider echoes itself
    A twin unto its own
    A Charlotte-Ton
    ... so thinks Wilber

    (from the Silly Side of Starshine)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome into our web, Silly-Side-of-Starshine.

      Delete